Delay in starting

Asked by Jul 24, 2016 at 10:23 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

02 ws6. I turn the key to start it turns over but will
not start on first crank. I wait cranks right up. If I
turn key wait for Antena to rise it will crank first
time. Am I just in hurry to go or is fuel pump going
out possibly?

995

Yeah It could be your mass airflow sensor I had some tricky problems starting my 2002 Bird when it was going out the battery gauge would read like 10 and it still had plenty of power it would take a while to crank like 3 or 4 seconds and it would fire but It never used to do that before then I replaced the mass air flow sensor and now it starts perfectly! Check your battery connections make sure your cables aren't corroded & are tight that could be a problem too?

Everything under hood is new. I purchased this car as salvage 2 deer hit front end same time. Wish I could figure out how to send you a picture of it on here.

995

It's a used car how could be everything under the hood be new? Did you get a new engine?

Not new engine. Everything else is new, battery, raditor, fans, thermostat shocks air conditioning.

995

Try the basics first check your spark plugs and spark plug wires, battery connections any engine codes on the dash? Like I said sounds like you're getting spark the starter everything all works but like I said before it could be your mass airflow sensor because it sounds like a sensor to make that problem I was having but I had a code for bad mass air flow sensor.

No codes checked at auto zone

995

Is the car hesitating stalls hard to start stuff like that? You know have you cleaned your injectors with seafoam done like the proper hundred thousand mile tune up etc. you know all the maintenance done to the car? What's your maintenance history like?

When I get in I have to turn key on while putting seat belt on .if I do this car will start right off. If I don't wait takes second time turning key to start. I'm female so I usually take to shop at end of my road to have any work done to it

995

I guess it's a good idea at this point to go ahead and have a shop look at it right?

Ty paul

995

Your welcome! Well we have some things in common we love the automobile Birds right? Who knows maybe this is the beginning of a romance? I live in Fremont California where do you live? Paul

I live in laurel Mississippi. I love the firebird. Have had just about every year since the bandits. I had 2 of those. I had 01 until broke leg twice in one year couldn't drive standard at the time. I just have the need for the speed and the look. Makes me feel in my 20's again

995

I hear ya I didn't get my first bird til I was 34 it was a 1988 Pontiac Firebird but back when the bandit came out & Knight Rider all those years I had always wanted one even the original one that came out in 67. So how old are you I'm 50?

56. But driving my ram air I fill like 20 again. I've had every color but red in these cars.

995

Nice, wanna share emails and share photos of each other & cars? My recent Firebird is a pewter silver looking car and my older Firebird I had had a Maui blue color which was a nice color!

Sure mine is peekatthis31360@comcast.net