ignition problems

40

Asked by Feb 11, 2017 at 03:00 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE

hey guys I have a problem, I pulled into my
driveway and my car decided to stall out for
some reason even though it's been running
perfectly fine no problems. I tried to start it
back up and everything comes on except for
when I turn the key over it doesn't crank or
even click so I'm guessing it is a problem
somewhere between the ignition switch
because I have checked my battery and it
has a great charge everything else works I'm
getting gas from the fuel rail so I was
wondering if anybody else had this problem
and possibly had a suggestion for me, thank
you

75,525

Then more than likely the starter took a shxt. But make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. May just have to pull the starter out and have it load tested. And are you sure the battery is fully charged? like 12.7DCV.

40

I charged it overnight just in case, the battery is new just under a year, I would normally think the starter as well but it isn't even clicking or making any noise when I turn the key and I didn't know if the starters on these newer bonnevilles we're like that or not because all the rest of the Bonneville I've had have been the old style from the ninetiesbut the battery is good everything else Powers up just fine and like I said it was running perfectly fine and I pulled into the driveway it started sputtering turned off and when I went to try and start it back up the key just turned over and nothing and I made sure that it had gas in it and check the fuel rails

75,525

What do you mean sputtering? I mean I know, but like it cut out? Loosing electrical? Can you tell if the anti theft had activated?

40

when I pulled into the driveway and put it into Park it almost sounded like it was misfiring a little bit and it pretty much sputtered and stalled out the electrical kept running fine and the security light isn't on unless I open up the door with the key in and not turned forward I've tried starting it well knocking on the starter and I've moved around some relays and still nothing I think it's either my starter went completely dead or it's somewhere between the fuse box and the starter in the wires because I can hear the relay clicking when I try to start it but the starter doesn't engage

75,525

Then check to see if there is power going to the starter solenoid on the small wire while someone is turning the key to the start position. Use a test light or digital multi meter. If it is then things are starting to point to the starter. That is if the battery is good, and the battery cables are good.

40

I'll definitely do that and more than likely in the morning I really appreciate the help I'll let you know how it goes