Have a 2002 Pontiac Aztek and key will not come out of the ignition. Car will not start, will not power on,will not shift from park to move, only runs down the battery. What is the cause and what is the fix? new ignition switch?

Asked by Jan 27, 2015 at 09:31 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD

20

Mine would do the same thing on occasion. I would wiggle the shifter while in part and that would release it.

Mine will not come out of ignition if battery dies. I have to charge battery then it will let me turn the key back to remove. I hope this helps.

90

Azteks are known for the ignition sensor going out. This sensor tells the car that its in park. If it doesn't get the signal, it won't let you turn the key all the way back and release the key. You can over ride this. Beneath the ignition under the steering column is a rubber button / cap. Pop it off. Push a small diametered dowel or anything else which fits into the hole. You will feel it push a button inside the steering column. While you have the button pressed, turn and remove the key.