Stop headlights from being on all the time the car is running

Asked by Sep 03, 2007 at 08:01 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT

GM came out with the safety headlight on automatically when you start the car.  I have gone through 5 sets of head light bulbs and want the lights to only come on when I turn them on!  How do I accomplish this?

This is one of the easiest features to disable safely. There should be a relay marked DRL in the under-hood fuse compartment. Pull this relay and the lights will only come on when the switch is on.

Thanks so much! I will try it in the AM! Thanks again for the help!

Another way is to put your ignition in the on position. raise your emergency brake up one click. (you just disabled your headlights if your light switch is in the off position). start your car. You will have no headlights. Your parking break is not engaged on click one. Now leave your break in this position and the next time you start your car, you put your key in and go straight to start. now if you need to set your brake do so, then when you are ready to start your car release the break then go up one click then start as normal once you go through process a few times, you will be a pro. oh if you want your lights, turn on the light switch or release the break. .

Note if you follow the steps above a night you will need to shine a light on the sensor on the dash passengeger side. 1. Turn off car 2. Pull break 3. Shine light on the sensor (20 secs) 4. Start car Had to do this at the drive in tonight lol

Not true. Brakes on or off, light switch on or off, aytime or night, will make no difference to pll the emergency brake once click or twenty. I'm going to presume they must be different depending on manufacturing year of your Vibe. It certainly isn't the case with my vibe.

Same problem with my old 03 vibe. I could not find a dlr relay in my fuse box under the hood. Brake set worked. I would like to find the dlr relay. Any suggestions?

Hey guys the relay is under the dash not hood. You have to disconnect pins 19 and 20 bend them so they don't touch anything and tada now the lights will only come on at the switch. You will need a 10mm socket for the relay box also wire cutters. Now remember that this is a permanent fix unless you reconnect the pins. The temp fix is okay but I rather have full control of my lights. Kaveman