96 ford taurus overheats

10

Asked by Jul 13, 2011 at 06:35 PM about the 1996 Ford Taurus GL

I have an unusual problem with my car overheating.My car has been overheating
for quite some time.

A while back, I noticed that if I drove at a higher speed, the temp would go back
down to a lower, more normal temp. But driving at about 25-35 in the city, or at a
stop light, the temp would rise again. I later made the connection that it wasn't so
much the speed, but the RPM, because one day, going about 25, I switched from
overdrive to drive, kicking the RPM's up about 500, cooling the car down.

The only thing I have really done is replace the thermostat, and while it kind of
helped for the first week or so, it still having the problem. any ideas as to what
could be causing this?

RPM specific sounds like water pump, speed consistent sounds like fan. Then again if the temp is in the normal range, albeit high it could be perfectly normal and consistent with the thermostat opening.

never use OD in city driveing,it will heat up the tranny.your car could be running at normal operating temp,but the temp sensor could be bad sending a false reading to computer or guadge,it should have 2 temp sensors,1 for computer,1 for temp guadge,replace both.ok now is the colling fans working,,if not or running at low speed,turn ac or defrost on,in cold position,they both will kick the colling fans on high,they run off a different cirket

10

both fans do work. I also though that possibly the gauge is off, but when it gets hot (and I mean almost to the red line) the coolant is boiling over, so obviously it is too hot. I have heard from multiple people that it is probably the water pump. supposedly Taurus' have a problem with the coolant becoming a rusty color (which mine is), and eroding the fins away on the pump. your thoughts?

Its pretty clear now that its the water pump. I'm not sure of the composition of the impeller on the 96 taurus water pump, but I owned a 95 and a 96 ford contour that had plastic impellers on the water pumps and they were notorious for failing.

thing that concerns me is running it hot with the aluiminum heads,they will warp,crack.yes replace waterpump & thermostat,do a rad flush,hope that fixes the problem.

30

so was it the water pump? I am having similar problems with my 98 Taurus.

30

I am having the exact same problem with my 96 F.T. did you ever figure out what the problem was exactly?

23,785

There are a plethora of things that can cause and engine to overheat. What are you experiencing?

50

Ok.I need some help.my buddy has a 95 ford Taurus 3.0..keeps over heating,when idle..I checked the fuses and changed the relay and I took out the thermostat and still over heats..plz

50

When u turn the ac on the fan doesnt turn on

23,785

The '95 has a set of relays on the Radiator support under the sight shield (plastic shield on top of the radiator.) If all of the fuses are good, turn on the AC and check for voltage at the fan - it's possible that either one or both of the fans have failed and have overloaded the fan relay in that control box. It also houses the PCM, AC Clutch, Fuel Pump and fan relays.

10

I am having the same issue. My car is over heating i keep putting coolent in it but like a week later it is dry. I have checked for leaks and dont see anything. My RPM's seem to be sticking to me, when idling the car is jerking forward like the RPM's are trying to shift. Anyone know anything about this and how to fix it?