Fuel guage issue

Asked by Jul 10, 2013 at 09:50 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Aztek STD

I have a 2003 Aztek, FWD, AT 250k miles... the fuel gauge is acting erratic, either way past full or empty, it matters not how much fuel is actually in the tank... so I popped for a new delphi fuel pump and sending unit ($300) and spent 8 hours wrestling the tank out, changing it and replacing the tank... turn the key and presto.... same problem, does anyone have a clue what I can "fix" next?

220

The Fuel Gauge / Temp Gauge went on my 2005 Aztec, The Temp gauge was not stepping down as it should,.. any how, the resolution was to have the entire cluster sent out to be rebuilt (no replacements are available).. I hope this helps.

220

There is yet one other possibility that I totally forgot about. There is a wiring connector that exits the passenger compartment right behind the diver's seat. Where it passes through the floor pan there is an electrical connector on the underside of the vehicle (C305). It is a 16 way connector. Some of the electrical circuits that pass through that connector are the AWD controls (i.e. might explain the AWD disable light) and the wheel speed sensors, fuel pump, EVAP controls, etc. What can happen is that water can get into that connector (had several owners here that had this issue - usually the symptom is erratic fuel gauge). The water can cause corrosion in the connector or up in the wiring itself. The wiring harness would need to be tested for continuity (capability of carrying electrical current at normal levels) and any water removed. This is just one other potential cause and certainly one worth looking at.

40

I agree with the cluster needing to be rebuilt. I had similar issues along with no odometer, erratic lighting issues, locks working and not. I had the cluster rebuilt and all seems to be cured. It seems the cluster problem caused the BCM to behave erratically.

30

I have a2001 Aztec the gas gauge wires run under the front seat,some times the pins inside the connector become dirty and have too be cleaned. If you trace the wires back you will find two connector some times come loose and need too be clean and pressed back together,if to loose you can put a rubber band around and pull it tight,these are located right under the rear seat of the four seated. Good luck