Fuel lines

Asked by Sep 18, 2016 at 10:16 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Aztek AWD

I just bought a 2004 Pontiac aztek. I have spent a
whole week working on the brakes and brake lines.
I just got them completed tonight and found that I
need to replace the fuel lines as they are
completely rusted. My question is does anyone
know if this is a hard/dangerous job to do? And
how much might it cost to do at home versus
sending it to a shop?any input would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

18,635

Disconnect the battery, Read the repair book and see if you need to relieve fuel pressure first and how to do so and be sure to put a new fuel filter on. Would save money and time because they may not get to it for days. Lines are cheap it would cost 5-6 times that much in labor.

7,385

If u decide to do it urself, locate fuel pump relay and remove it, run engine till it dies out, this will get rid of residue pressure in the lines. Replacing the lines is a little tricky bacause u have the entire line to feed through frame and components. Good luck!

Both of the above answers missed what she said. Her fuel lines are leaking. If she doesn't turn the key back on they will release the pressure from the leaks. This is not a direct injection engine so the pressure will not be that great anyway.

18,635

Basically she said they are rusted, no where does it say rusted completely out and leaking, she had been fixing brake lines and noticed the fuel lines were rusted (not rusted out and leaking) and whether the pressure is great or not. Its pressure and if your laying on the ground looking up at fuel lines, it drains all over you, as soon as the lines start to move around they fall apart leaking fuel all over the place and the one doing the work. Its a safety measure (to be careful) to let them know that fuel will be escaping and most likely on them. How many people wait all day for pressure to relieve itself by not turning key on. I just did an 84 model Honda (I should of read this again) had not been turned on for a week and fuel sprayed all over my face & head & upper body (soaked me) so much I was running around trying to get my breath and had to take a shower rite then because my eyes & skin was burning and turning red. You can not go by it has no pressure thought. (I know to what you think but it still sprayed fuel all over me.) All fuel lines work because of pressure otherwise you have a gravity system like a motorcycle.