Why won't my 2005 Sunfire start

Asked by Sep 19, 2016 at 03:17 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Sunfire Base

The lights come on when I turn the key on
but it won't start. It will turn over but won't
start. I have to work and drop my kids off in
the morning for school. Not having mycar
run is just terrible

Cars need three things to happen for combustion. 1.) Air 2.) Fuel 3.) Spark (ignition) my guess is the you may have numbers 2 or 3 going wrong. first thing I would check is that you have Fuel. You may want to rent or borrow from a friend a code reader and see if you have a fault code that could tell you what is wrong.

7,885

check for air first is the air filter clogged second does the fuel pump come on when you turn the key on

Your ignition module may have died. Or one of the other components that controls spark (igniting the fuel and air mixture). When you turn the key from off to on, just before trying to start it, do you hear what sounds like a pump turning on? You should be able to hear the fuel pump prime/pressurize. If not, you may have a bad fuel pump. When it turns over, is it slow, or does it sound fast & normal, just without starting? If it's slow, the battery may be dying. autozone or advance auto parts will charge and test the battery, but you'd have to remove it from the car and have a friend drive you to the store. Removing it takes tools too. (1/2" deep socket i believe to remove the hold down, and then 10 or 12 mm to remove the battery cables. ) Always remove the negative battery cable first.