2005 Sunfire, will not rev past 3.5-4k rpms. Rarely 4.5-5k, in Park, D or N. 120k on car

Asked by Aug 14, 2012 at 03:29 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Sunfire Base

So recently my car has been running a little low on power.  She idels fine, 0-3rpms is fine in all gears, engine is very smooth up to 80mph (downhill).  Once under power or at 4k rpms in any gear or park or Neutral, the car will lose all power and start to bog down. She wont die but will no give me any more power and slowly lose it if I floor it.  Once I take it off the gas in park or neutral not drive, she either idles exremely rough or die with out trying.  To fix the rough idle I put the car into gear and give it some gas, problem solved.  Oh and check engine light will come on if im really harping on it as it dies at 4k.  Then after idleing for a little bit the light goes away.  I finally got a reading on the light and it said cylinder missfire. I have not changed the fuel filter for about 80+k. One is on order, if it fixes it ill update this asap.  

Thanks for any help!  I am in Germany and its expensive for parts and all I can order are new parts.  

385

YOU MIGHT BE SUFFERING FROM A CLOGGED CATALYTIC CONVERTER. IF YOU HAVE A CYLINDER MISSFIRE, IT COULD BE A FAULTY PLUG OR PLUG WIRE, COIL OR YOU MIGHT HAVE STICKING INJECTORS OR LOW FUEL PRESSURE(PUMP)