ABS light turned on and dash message says AWD disabled on 05 Pontiac Montana

Asked by May 05, 2013 at 06:44 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Montana Base Extended

I have never had any problems with this van I drove to work and for some unusual reason my normal parking space was not available, leaving me to park on a hill. Before shutting the motor off I put the parking break on. When I left work started the car and the ABS light turned on, the message on the dashboard says "Service ABS System" and "AWD Disabled" they both came on at the same time. I believe this is probably the 2nd time I have used the parking break in three years. Could it have been what caused the issue? And how can it be fixed?

27,905

You need to have the abs module scanned for dtc's. after you know what they are you can post them on here and someone will point you in the right direction. Or have it fixed at where ever you get the codes read. You have a fault with the abs system usually a wheel speed sensor, but it can be alot of things. Thats why the codes need to be read so you know where you need to start looking.

70

I used to have the same problem. My issue was with the Wheel speed sensors which I tested with an OBD tester to troubleshoot. My ABS light no longer goes on therefore my AWD doesn't disable. After a few more months then my AWD disabled would go on once in a while and the AWD would not work. I removed the rear sensor on the rear diff and cleaned the filter on it which was completely plugged with sludge and slapped it back in with new oil and bam problem resolved. I have been enjoying AWD again since then. Also that sensor you need to make sure you have approx. 12v going to it to activate the solenoid which opens the valve. You can plug it in and see it open when you start the vehicle.

where is it located on a 2006 Buick Rendevous