i want to remove the drive belt that runs my ac compressor

60

Asked by May 20, 2012 at 01:49 PM about the 2005 Pontiac GTO Coupe

I want to remove drive belt the runs
my ac compressor. I live in
washington and rarely use the ac. I
am thinking this might free up just a
tiny bit of power? but will it have
any adverse affects?

2,085

Depending on the car you might have to remove the compressor, to get a smaller belt to use. The bearings in the compressor might corrode, if they are not turning, if you can get by with not removing the compressor.

60

Yeah, I Figured I'd just leave it there. And if in the future I want to hook it up, I'll deal with it then. A new compressor is like $250 or something

3,045

serpentine belt will not work without compressor in place, so power steering and altenator would not work as well as water pump. if left off will not use any hp.

60

the car has 2 belts. all other pumps are run by a separate belt. The ac compressor has its own separate smaller belt that is run off of the crank right next to the main serpentine belt. by removing this 1 smaller belt the only thing that would be affected would be the turning of the ac compressor pump.

3,045

i would leave it alone, soon as you remove it your gonna be in aa heat wave

505

Removing the AC belt will have absolutly no adverse affect on your engine. Your car will run just fine with out it, as for a little extra horsepower, that I am not sure about.

7,695

youre not going to gain enough hp to notice any sort of difference at all. leave it alone. youre wasting your time.

your a/c pulley is just like an idler pulley until you turn the a/c on,that's the only time it draws anything from the engine so to remove it isn't gonna make any difference as far as power gains. also you need the a/c for the windshield defogger.

if you are looking to by-pass the compressor because is froze up, you could use a shorter belt as long as everything spins the way it should when you route it , it did it on my eldo & my jimmy. just measure the lenght of the belt minus the a/c.

oh yeah one other thing is they sell a replacement idler pulley in place of the a/c compressor. if there is freon in the system have a shop recover it so you know the line won't discharge in your face.

Best Answer Mark helpful
35

I'm just gonna leave well enough alone and not change a thing. Thanx for all of your input. Getting a new intake and throttle body spacer today. Little by little, faster she goes :)

35

(Changed my screen name and avatar, This is James, the original poster of the thread...)

3,045

improved intake and throttle body is way better than removing a belt, be safe, that ride is going to be scary fast!!!!!!!!

7,695

Save yourself money and dont buy a throttle body spacer. It does nothing.

7,695

And as far as intakes go if you don't get a vararam or svede otrcai you're just wasting your time. Those are the only two intakes that don't get heat soaked and cause power loss.