2005 GTO Ignition/security problem

Asked by Sep 29, 2010 at 04:22 PM about the 2005 Pontiac GTO Coupe

Hey folks. I have a 2005 GTO. Lately what has been happening is two things:
1) Turn the key & 'CLICK'.....does not turnover. All lights are on, etc. Just put a new Optima battery. Starter? maybe. But it only does this infrequently & when it does act up, if you keep turning the key, eventually it turns over & starts.
2) While driving the security light will come on (the light that has a pic of the car & pad lock intertwined). Car keeps running & if you hit a bump, it will either flicker or just go out.

Could both problems be related? And does anyone have any ideas what could be happening or what I should do?

Thanks for any help....I really appreciate it!

7,185

key fob possibly has something wrong with it?

35

The second problem leads me to think it's a problem with your key, like the bump could be causing a connection inside your key to break and then reconnect. The first problem would then fit because sometimes while you're turning your key it's hitting the connection and sometimes not.

115

it could be your ignition switch there is a new ignition switch old #92172018 new #92234035 like 38.00

60

I had a similar problem. Was a,wire behind the glove box rubbing due to vibrations. An electrical shop found and fixed for 108.00. :)

I fixed this 2 years ago when I had the EXACT same problem. Here was the fix: The problem is actually an issue with the "autolock" security feature from the poorly designed GMC/Pontiac system. It is a system where the metal nipple on your key fob and the actual key are connected electrically, creating an electric circuit when you contact them to the ignition ring and keyhole. The circuit in your key fob creates 180-200 ohms of electrical resistance, and ANYTHING to take it out of a strict set of electric-resist parameters will throw the dreaded and god-awfully annoying Autolock system out of wack. The autolock will think your car is being stolen by someone who broke your ignition lock and is using a screwdriver to start the engine, which of course isn't the case. To solve this, I had a car audio tech disconnect the key's autolock circuit entirely (inside the steering column, not the key), and solder/insert a tiny resistor into the security circuit instead, with 180-200 ohms (or whatever your finnicky security system requires) to fool your car into thinking the key is properly connected with the electric resistor "autolock" security function. Problem solved, haven't had an issue since.