Torrent 2006 with a 3.4LV6 Can a 3.6L V6 engine be put in to replace the 3.4L v6?

40

Asked by tkman May 20, 2015 at 06:23 PM about the 2006 Pontiac Torrent FWD

I am seeing some people claim the  Seems like the 3.4L v6 is known to have problems like I have like head gaskets leak, etc.
The  GXP had the 3.6L V6 and people seem to think this was a much better engine.
I am wondering if the GXP engine would fit in my 2006 front wheel drive Torrent with the 3.4L engine?

40

After looking around and talking to some mechanics it appears that this is not an easy problem to fix. I have decided the best solution is a rebuilt engine that attempts to correct the original flaws. I will be buying and installing one of these. I have seen these engines advertised for around $2200 US with one including a 7 year 100k warranty. I live in Canada so I found one for around $3k Can that has a 3 year 50k warranty. I believe this will be the only way to resolve the original lemon engine that came with the car. Because GM has not stood behind this manufacturers flaw it will take an awful lot of encouragement for me to ever consider buying another GM vehicle.

40

I believe this was a flaw right from the start. The first time I drove the car (when it was 2 years old) the car had the smell of coolant burning. Thus I believe this engine had head gasket problems from early on. I have owned this car for 6 years and it has had this coolant smell about it the whole time. It finally started to overheat on a regular basis last winter and when the dealer looked at it they said it was the head gaskets and it was not worth fixing, could not reliably estimate how much it would cost to fix and often had reoccurring problems even after fixing. They even said a replacement new motor was not worth doing and would cost over $6k. They suggested I buy a new car. If I do it will not be a GM product. I believe a non GM rebuild where the seller is offering a solid warranty is the best solution.