Looking at buying a car that has gone through a flood... what should I look out for?

55

Asked by Jun 14, 2008 at 07:04 PM about the 2006 Pontiac G6 GT

The engine and drivetrain have all been replaced and the seats are leather. I'm wondering what problems should I be looking out for  and may happen in the future due to the car being in a flood.  Everything checks out fine (that I've seen).  The dealer was able to remove any and all mold from the upholstery in the interior.  Thanks-

run away from it.water causes a lot of unseen problems.

125

You should check mostly ignition and electronic systems in it. If it has problems starting or has to crank several times, its not worth getting it.

510

dont do it, there is so much electrical items that will be corroded in a short time, it may sound and run ok now, but it will never be right. plus the facgtory warrany is void and i doubt any aftermarket company would pick up coverage, it would be a salvage title and you will never get the money out of it. RUN AWAY!!!!

75

Everyone is right stay away from it, my friend bought one once and like someone else said all of the electronics started to corrode at a much higher rate, it cost a lot more money than it should have in the end. Plus as you said the engine and drivetrain have been replaced, cars usually have more problems after that kind of work has been done. My 97 jeep wrangler had the tranny replaced by the dealer that sold it to me and to make a really long story short it has never been right after that from sounds to check engine lights and a new torque converters (x5). Save your money and get something different.

35

It doesn't matter how good it looks or runs now, electrical problems could be a real problem down the road. There are tons of wires, circuits, control modules, etc, etc that are under the carpets, dash, and other areas that are just not meant to get wet.

3,625

I have also read in one of my Auto Tech magazines that some flood waters contain a rather potent virus/bacteria, and if a car is in those waters and is not destroyed, anyone who is injured by the vehicle, ie a cut or scratch may contract the virus/bacteria. This was particularly a problem with Katrina cars, as at least one firefighter died due to the germ.

375

What should you look for....a different car. A branded title will cause you alot of trouble. Dave

115

Look for the nearest exit.

670

run away man!!!! water does lots of damage... you couldnt pay me to take a car that was in a flood