Blend door stuck

Asked by Sep 28, 2016 at 02:11 PM about the 2006 Pontiac G6 Base

The blend door for hot/cold is stuck on the cold side. I have checked both the
recirculation actuator and the blend door actuator, both are in working order. I
have taken off the glove compartment and was told by a mechanic that I may
be able to access the blend door if I remove the blower motor assembly. Any
idea if this is true? It is getting too cold to not have heat! Help!!

We watched this video when checking the actuator. I didn't see him access the door itself, maybe I missed that?

If you can see the actuator you should be able to see if it is moving the blend door or not. If the door is jammed and actuator good, it should be making a lot of clicking or gear-grinding noises. The door itself is incredibly simple, just a flap, it's almost always a bad actuator. There really is no way to tell if it's good or not except to get access to it and see it moving. Getting to it through the glove box or by removing blower motor or even an air bag are all good methods for most models to get to the blend door actuator. To get to the blend door itself which is inside the heater box you need to remove the dash.

Ok, it was making clunking noises before it stopped working. When the noises stopped, I had no heat. I can see where the actuator connects and turns it, but it is stuck pretty good.

Same problem. Actuator motor works. Did you ever figure out how to get the door unstuck?

If you can reach the actuator, unplug the harness and plug it into a new actuator, then see if the new one moves. If it doesn't you have an electrical problem. If it moves, then you can go about the business of installing it - for some models might mean removing or at least lifting the dash to gain access to it.

I had a similar problem with my 2006 G6, only cold air, no heat. The case that holds all of the blend doors and actuators, is made out of plastic. Somehow, the blend door that controls hot to cold, was melted and warped, so it would not move inside of the case like it should. The actuator motor was fine. Had to replace the entire upper half of the enclosure. Big job that required an entire dash removal.