G6 won't crank

210

Asked by Aug 15, 2017 at 07:04 PM about the 2006 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe

My g6 will do nothing when I turn the key
the battery is good and full ... the security
light is not on I've checked all fuses and
relays .. I noticed the steering wheel
doesn't lock not sure it's related .. I've
cleaned the connection on the bcm ... I'm
stumped

4,410

Ok step by step. Security light not on so you know it's not ignition nor key. When you attempt to start car what happens? Does it Crank and no start?

4,410

Are you getting Sparks? Power and pulse to injectors? Fuel to engine?

210

It does nothing no crank whatsoever I hear no clicking other from the relay ... the check engine light is on which it was not before

4,410

That check engine is your hint. Check to see if you get power to the signal wire at the starter. Here's first step. Pull starter relay check if your getting power there. If you are place key in ignition on with accessories on and have someone turn key and see if signal wire getting power at the relay and work your way down. If your not getting any you may have an interrupt switch or fault at ignition

240

I’m having the same issue. New battery, gas in tank.. I go to start and everything seems fine but when turned all the way, it won’t crank at all, automatically locks the doors tho.. also, I have a convertible, and when I go to close the doors, the windows no longer roll all the way up. I checked for codes and p0452 came up, I’m not sure if that stops it from cranking though..

330

Where is the starter relay located at

4,410

The instrument panel fuse block is located on the passenger side of the vehicle, on the lower portion of the instrument panel console near the floor

4,410

Here is the engine compartment fuse and relay panel listing

4,410

Part2

4,410

Part 3

4,410

Lastly 4

140

My car does the same thing battery fine full tank and I changed the starter probably like 5 months ago now so I don't understand why it won't start

4,410

AllwhiteG6 sorry did not see your comment as I work for a automotive shop and run busy from time to time. But your code is either an Evap (Fuel leak) but does not stop your car from cranking!

4,410

It seems as there is a common issue with electrical on the G6. Now we know you all have the same issue. Did anyone trace to see where you are losing power? Simple steps follow these steps and you eill find fault

4,410

Check power voltage at battery 12v+ Check power leaving ignition 12v Check relay has power entering relay and leaving. There is a signal wire that send power to starter and a ground on that relay make sure all are there. If you have to jump it to start car use jumper wires to start car. Check starter signal wire to make sure its getting power if it is (Using a 12v test light) and it lights up your starter maybe burnt out.

280

The starter is literally 2 inches from the catalytic converter on the 3.5 V6. (2006 G6 GT) Once the engine gets hot (catalyst) the starter heat soaks and will not crank until it cools down. This is my experience. I have since installed a heat shield and the occurrences have reduced.

40

gm has been producing lighting harnesses that are made backwards, the harness located directly below the fuse box. had to manually switch all the wiring back around. every. single. wire. that can work, or if you grind off the three tabs, itll fit backwards with zipties.

30

I have the same issue going on. I went thru 3 different starters so I know its not that. It turns on at times but sometimes it doesn't. Thus is really irritating.

60

I also have this issue I have replaced the starter, ignition switch, all relay's and battery. It's the 3.9 and also seems related to heat I live in Phoenix so when car gets hot and ac is used car won't restart once turned off. Full power at battery relays and starter I think it's computer related. Only thing I haven't changed

30

i have the same issue what was the problem

280

So, on the V6 engine, the starter is almost touching the catalytic converter(which is super hot). When the starter gets too hot, the solenoid will not engage and the starter wont crank. Also, the low pressure oil switch is right above the starter, mine sprung a leak and covered the starter in oil, that may have accentuated the problem along with the heat from the cat.

280

I put some header wrap (fiberglass tape) around the cat and also a heat shield on the starter, It hasn't got very hot in LA yet but i havent had the problem since. Ill find out this summer.

110

I have a 08 Pontiac G6 4cyl 2.4l I’m 17 and can do most work on my own now I am having same issue I turn key all lights radio everything comes on starter clicks but will not crank now when it does start it fires straight up like it never had an issue now I started with battery I just figure it was a bad connection due to how it would be a hit or miss and everything had power and if I play with it for some time it would start so I replace battery problem did not go away and my terminals would not tighten so I replace them also then I moved To my starterwhich is located in the front on my car my cat is in the back so I don’t think the cat it causeing my issue considering they are not by each other now I did my whole exhaust front to back one morning and decided to go ahead and replace the starter now the problem still occurs then I went to fuses all good there then I go to the ignition switch Replaced it key and lock cylinder and problem still occurs I now am lost in space with no helmet I have no clue what to do and I really need help my car has not started in 4 days just clicks now and my battery is not even 3 weeks old now this has caused me to lose my job at a great car dealership can someone please help me figure this problem out

100

Fixed ours by cleaning ground to fuse box. Few scrubs across with brush to remove gunk and started right up.

10

Mine does the same but if you open drivers door a close the car will start,cant figure out whats going on.

20

Side panel of center console wiggle wires started right up

30

If ur battery is good n fully charged..Take positive off battery for 15 mins. Reconnect n should start right up... At least mine did. Gonna check into it more so I hopefully don't have to do this every time but will let y'all know if n when I do figure it out. Thanks, Tina

280

Hi Tina, Thanks for your response. Have you tried just letting the car sit for 15 minutes instead of disconnecting the battery? I am just wondering if its a temperature/time issue instead of an electrical/time problem. -Hector

40

Hi, Mines does the same exact thing, once you drive it along distance, it will not restart back until for 3 hours or more... My husband has change starter, battery etc, and still does the same thing...But Today since it's been raining, cut it off, fires right back up... Have anyone found the solution yet?

20

We have the same problem. My daughter drives it to work, and has to leave it every day.. we go back that night and it starts right up. We have replaced the starter, ignition, alternator, wiring and wiring harness. Thought the problem was the starter getting too hot, so we wrapped the starter with a starter heat wrap, but it's still doing it... Should I try to wrap the catalytic convertor also?? Ugh... I hate this car.. but I'm too pissed off to quit trying to figure it out..

30

Wiggle the main wiring harness coming from the fuse box underneath the hood driver side

Rock it multiple times to engage the starter to the engine.

20

I have a 06 g6 gtp.....same problem & it was in the shop 8 days & they couldn't figure it out but something super wiierd happened the other night when i keep tryin to get it to crank till the battery died & as soon as motor stopped turning & my starter clicked a few times i turned key off & on & it started without starter spinning

30

Wiggle the big wire bundle by the fuse box under the hood ... Play with it while someone else trys to start it..

20

Do ANYONE know what could be wrong with my car it starts fine in the morning starts on my lunch break soon I get back I my car want start battery good alternator good and starter

280

Your starter is hot let it cool down for a while then it will start.

40

A month ago my battery went dead..it was a very hot day in Michigan..when checked the battery we were told the cells were dead so purchased a new one car started right up..i also knew i needed front brakes..a month later while still on i could not shift the gears as if the gear shift didnt stop on park reverse or drive..so i pulled into parking space and pulled the emergency brake..then turned off the car..a few hours later i went out to see if i could placed in park and all lights came on but wouldn't turn over..we changed the brakes however we then noticed the lock message come across the radio so we disconnected the battery for over 48 hours and stop nothing but all lights..my bf checked the fuses under the hood and also in the rear but not inside the car just yet and let me add another that's going on with the car..without really knowing which one it could be sometimes my car heats to over 220but bit to over heat to shut the car off but I'm wondering if needing a thermostat or water pump would cause it not to start..please help..

Take screwdriver touch top bolt to bottom with key turned halfway should start up

It's the neutral security system. Put your car on neutral and it will start. You will still have to replace the neutral security system.