Will a bad alternator cause the starter to go out. My starter fried while driving I changed it and then it fried again. I disconnected the alt and ran it on battery only 2 get home.

Asked by May 22, 2014 at 11:31 PM about the 2006 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe

Every time I tried to start before I knew starter was fired it would smoke and my battery
drained way faster than it should have. I just dont want to replace the alternator and starter
again and have the same problem also noticed two bad motor mounts gonna replace them
before I drive it again.

I also wanted to ad that I had severe carbon build up in the throttle body which I have cleaned since I discovered it I just bought the car two days ago and it ran perfect and I never felt any issues with the motor mount. I did take off like a bat out of hell right when all this happened its hard to baby that beast especially since it's new to me my last car was a station wagon.

4,705

The alternator and starter are not wired together. The alternator feeds electricity to your battery (and runs the cars electric needs when the motor is running, too) and the battery's power is used to turn the starter motor to start your engine. It sounds to me like you have a bad starter. Both the starter and the alternator can be checked by your local car parts place to see if they are the cause. Also, check to see if the positive battery lead goes directly to the post on the starter motor and it is tight with clean terminals. If the cable goes to a relay box first, then you might have a bad relay (your car, I believe, was made in Australia even though it is a Pontiac).

Believe it or not I just had to let it run rough for a few minutes and let the computer re-calibrate itself. It runs fine now I prob fried the starter trying to start too many times in a row. The computer must have drained the battery re calibrating and made me think my alternator was bad i hooked the alternator back up and just kept fiddling with it totally depressed seeing it sit broken down looking so beautiful allowed the computer to fix the rough running and dying battery draining issue. Know I just have to change all the motor mounts anyone have advice on finding all four at a fair price?

The battery light is on and when I drive the car cuts off