1996 Ranger single cab door swap

45

Asked by Jun 01, 2013 at 08:09 PM about the 1996 Ford Ranger XL Standard Cab LB

I replaced the driver side door to my 96 ranger and found a door at a junk yard. door
was in good shape, same color but its auto windows and locks and my truck is manual
windows, locks, and mirrors.
I went forward with the install and the mirror works but I figured it would upon getting
power to the door, but the window will not budge and the lock wont lock/unlock other
than manually pushing it and unlocking it with the inside handle (new door, new lock,
no new key.) Is it the wiring harness on my truck just not wired for windows/locks?
Thanks for any help!

Sam

6,225

Sam, I would only assume that the truck is pre-wired for power windows,locks and mirror. Ford and other manufacturers did that to save thousands or millions of money making one loom instead of several. Especially if the mirror wiring is present. Your truck should be pre-wired under the dash too but you might need a fuse or relay or both installed to power the window motor and lock actuator since your truck never had either from the factory.. Check your fusebox and/or operators manual for locations. Fuses are usually under the dash, relays are usually under the hood but not always, either way it should be marked where they go.. I'll bet that the junkyard door has a bad window motor and/or lock actuator from sitting outside in a junkyard for who knows how long. Or they just went bad from age. You are talking about a 17 year old truck door. Most Ranger trucks were used for work purposes either privately or for a company use so that junkyard door might have over 200K miles on it and so would the power window motor and lock actuators. Just think how many times that door and window were opened during those 17 years or atleast during the normal use of the truck you took it from. If the motor is clicking or humming when you push the button then you know it's getting power and a $35.00 replacement power window motor is necessary. They are available at most autoparts stores or online at Ebay and all the major autoparts stores online as well. The doorlock actuator is about the same money and also readily available. Check your connections first though with a $3.00 testlight from the autoparts store but being that old, they would probably need replacement anyway, so as long as you have the door apart, and can afford another $70.00, go ahead and replace the motor and actuator if you're gonna keep the truck for any length of time.. You'll save yourself a headache later. You don't want it acting up again in a few weeks or even worse yet during the middle of winter after you just had everything apart now anyway. There are a few good truck forums online where you could ask where the relays are and get an answer from many within minutes. Here's one for all Ford Ranger Enthusiasts at www.fordrangerforum.com -.Here's even another Ranger forum at http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46050 Good Luck, Kenny/MrBlueOval.