My belt broke on me when I was driving . Is it true that my engine is no good

Asked by Dec 10, 2015 at 01:27 AM about the 1997 Plymouth Voyager SE

Both the 2.4 and 3.3 are "interference" engines, meaning some damage to valves can happen if the drive chain breaks. You would have to pull the valve cover(s) to determine if that happened. To replace a timing chain and the heads, it would be cheaper to install a refurbished motor or one out of a salvage yard.

Determine if your vehicle is a chain or belt driven cam shaft. You can do this simply by query on google. If the engine is turning rapidly while trying to start, sounding like it is "turning over faster" than normal, you have indeed broken the belt or chain. Pull your oil cap and see if you can see the valves, cam, or pulleys moving when the engine is turned over. If they don't move you have proof that it is broken. Ray Williams, Auto Right Sales.

I had a 1999 voyager, 2.4, with about 300000 miles on it. The timing belt broke twice while I was driving it. No damage to engine. I had a 1999 neon, 2.4, same thing, belt broke twice while was driving. No damage. So, even though damage can occur, I kinda think it is rare.