water pump replacement on a 3.0 liter engine

80

Asked by Nov 10, 2014 at 11:08 PM about the 1997 Plymouth Voyager SE

18,750

What are you wanting to know?

80

Thanks for responding. I have a 1997 plymouth voyager with a 3.0 liter engine and I fear that unlike the 3.1 or 3.3L engine mine requires that you remove the timing belt to remove the water pump. This seems a most ridiculous design if it is true. Wanting to know cause timing belt removal is a nightmare I prefer not to repeat in my lifetime.

18,750

It's true the 3.0 liter timing belt runs the water pump. It's not that hard to do. I just did one in my wife's Lebaron last week. They sell a kit, belt and pump together its about $140-180 depending where you get it. It's about a 3-6 hour job depending on your mechanical abilities.

80

Thanks for your encouragement. Dealer wants around $1500. So I am motivated, but know how painful timing bellts can be. I am not so troubled by removing the belt, but rather by having to remove one of the overhead cam gear sprockets ( on left side?). This is a real pain. Can you tell me on that engine, exactly what must be removed. For example, in a video that I watched it appears that you have to remove the alternator/bracket and one of the Cam gears. Is this true? Can you tell me what the minimum you have to do to just replace the pump? I am reasonably skilled but from my watching the videos it looks like there are a lot of hard to get at bolts involved.

18,750

First off don't take an older vehicle to a dealer for repair work. Find a reputable mechanic who won't rip you off. Second replace the belt as well. You're in there at this point. Its like doing a valve job and only replacing just the bad ones. No you replace them all. It very hard and long to explain how to do a complete job over an email. Yes you have to remove brackets and a can gear. Its part of doing the job right the first time.

80

Thanks. Very good advice!!!!

18,750

No problem. Good luck. A couple of days before you start soak the bracket bolts in P. B. Blaster or WD-40. It will help you not break them off and save your knuckles from losing skin.

80

Marvelous!!! If I decide to do it I will let you know how it went.

18,750

Thanks again. Yes, let me know.