Why all the smoke?

Asked by Jan 15, 2015 at 08:37 PM about the 1998 Plymouth Voyager SE

My 1998 Plymouth Voyager SE Flex fuel 3.3l has been well maintained by me and I perform
most of the repairs and maintenance. For years I have been dealing with a roaming
electrical short in my system that has eluded me until recently when I had an electrical fire
that occurred in the vicinity of #5 spark plug. I never figured out why though I now suspect a
faulty PCM. I repaired and/or replaced everything near the site of the fire. New O2 sensor,
fuel injectors, EGR, vacuum hoses, PCV, plugs & wires, coil, PCM, and all new connectors
and/or wiring related to the repairs. When I finally got it all back together, it started like a
racehorse out of the gate. My new PCM came preprogrammed but I have not yet had it
programmed with my VIN and mileage. No trouble codes popped but the engine runs rough
and light colored smoke started pouring out of the tailpipe. I fear there may be a crack in the
cooling system or a blown gasket. It would be great if there were other, less involved issues
to consider before looking at the more severe possibilities. Any input would be greatly
appreciated by me.

White smoke is coolant and blue/grey is oil. Get the PCM programmed first to get it running smooth again. What color is the smoke? Engine cold or warm?

How cold is it in your area? may be condensation in exhaust pipe. Does eng. clatter? If so, poss. broke valve spring, or cracked rocker shaft tower. not having vin or mileage in pcm will not cause a drivability problem. If it is heavy smoke, smell it and see if it smells like antifreeze. If so you have eng problems.