What type of spacer attaches the tensioner pulley to the assembly?

5

Asked by May 07, 2013 at 11:07 PM about the 1998 Plymouth Voyager SE

1998 Plymouth Voyager
3.3L

Are the tensioner pulley and idler pulley identical? What type of spacer attaches the tensioner pulley to the assembly? I have a terrible squeal and I think it's the tensioner pulley. I have replaced the idler pulley. Is there a collar or spacer for the tensioner pulley? It seems to be cast as part of the tensioner pulley assembly.

Thanks!

257,465

Dayco Pulley: 89006, you can just remove the tensioner pulley without replacing the whole assembly. The reason you think you can't, is I suspect there is a plastic cap covering the bolt that holds the pulley on, pop this off with a thin screwdriver. You should then be able to take the pulley off and replace. Replace your serpentine belt at teh same time.

5

I can take the pulley off. My question is geared toward putting it back on. Is there a spacer or collar that goes with the pulley? The spacer/collar appears to be a part of the assembly, but it just doesn't feel like it's seated right.

257,465

That I'm not sure of, how does the new pulley compare to the old one, did you get the correct replacement? Idler pulley is different than tensioner, ex. Dayco pulley 89097 - 90mm x 10mm. x 30mm wide. The tensioner pulley #89009 - 90mm x 17mm x 300mm wide.

5

That is not my tensioner pulley. On this model, the idler and tensioner pulleys are identical. The tensioner pulley assembly (Dayco 89251 new in box from Advance) comes with a pulley attached that is identical to my idler pulley. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_automatic-belt-tensioner-light-duty-dayco-no-slack_5160005-p?searchTerm=tensioner+pulley+assembly