Car won't start

Asked by Apr 06, 2015 at 10:02 PM about the 1998 Plymouth Breeze 4 Dr Expresso Sedan

I'm trying to help a friend with her car not starting. When trying to jumpstart the car, the battery cables get very hot and start to smoke.
What will cause the cables to do this? I was pointing towards the starter, but unable to diagnose it without starting car.

20

Hiya mate, i think that the problem is that the jump leads are not heavy duty enough to do the job. Plus maybe you could save power drainage by switching off any potential source ie, such as heater lights etc. So try and leave the leads connected between both vehicles whilst charging for about 10 minutes.then try start the motor. That should work. Steve ...

246,575

Right, either they were hooked up incorrectly or they're cheap cables. get a new set.