How can i tell if i have a blown head gasket

Asked by Jul 07, 2013 at 03:08 AM about the 1998 Plymouth Breeze 4 Dr STD Sedan

my 1998 Plymouth breeze runs hot quickly, it leaks antifreeze soon as I put it in,bubbles out of the coolant resovoir when the top is off

Ok, to tell if you have a blown head gasket, you will need to perform a compression check of the cylinders. If one or 2 are lower than the others, then you know you have a potential problem with a gasket. White smoke out the exhaust is another sign, since you are burning antifreeze. In your situation, since it is bubbling out of the coolant reservoir, I would say you might have a stuck/closed thermostat. Look into replacing that first.

Jim Demestihas

thermostat 1st......................

Tom is right, so is Jim....but another way to tell is pull your motor oil dipstick. It should be amber /clean or even black if you have not done an oil change lately. If it is overfull and a light brown/tan that spells trouble, but I agree with those guys. Check thermostat and tension of belt to be sure water pump is turning.

Don't worry about it, YOU WILL KNOW.