How can i tell if i have a blown head gasket

Asked by Jul 07, 2013 at 03:08 AM about the 1998 Plymouth Breeze 4 Dr STD Sedan

my 1998 Plymouth breeze runs hot quickly, it leaks antifreeze soon as I put it in,bubbles out of the coolant resovoir when the top is off

264,375

Ok, to tell if you have a blown head gasket, you will need to perform a compression check of the cylinders. If one or 2 are lower than the others, then you know you have a potential problem with a gasket. White smoke out the exhaust is another sign, since you are burning antifreeze. In your situation, since it is bubbling out of the coolant reservoir, I would say you might have a stuck/closed thermostat. Look into replacing that first.

255

thermostat 1st......................

Tom is right, so is Jim....but another way to tell is pull your motor oil dipstick. It should be amber /clean or even black if you have not done an oil change lately. If it is overfull and a light brown/tan that spells trouble, but I agree with those guys. Check thermostat and tension of belt to be sure water pump is turning.

110

Don't worry about it, YOU WILL KNOW.