How do I open the Air Filter housing box without clips for a 1999 plymouth voyager 2.4 engine?

Asked by Nov 13, 2014 at 08:03 PM about the 1999 Plymouth Voyager SE

I removed the Air filter housing box from the 2.4liter but there are no clips to open the box. How do I open the box?

1,750

They are clamps you just don't see them Watch "How to access and change a Caravan Air filter" on YouTube How to access and change a Caravan Air filter: http://youtu.be/ dTTrauHHTd0

25

I don't know if the 2.4 is the same as my 3.3 but I nearly destroyed the air box trying to open it to replace the filter. Turns out it is located under the air box and you need to remove the top air box, by unclamping the large hoses to find the filter box. What a bitch of a job. It took me all morning to replace the filter.

At least you did it! I could not open the box at all, not even close. Its as if someone permanently sealed it so it would not open, strange. I gave up.

25

The air filter doesn't live in that box. That's just a cool box for reducing the temperature of the air coming into the engine. I wasted a lot of time trying to open that cool box before I realized there was nothing in it. You do need to remove that box to start the incredibly complicated task of changing the filter. After removing the top bolts on the cool box you need to loosen the two big clamps underneath it to see where the filter box is, (down and to the right). None of the four clips are easily visible from that point, so you'll have to feel around for them. I do remember being able to use a certain tool to pry the clips off the filter housing. It was a long pair of pliers that end in an angle and there are not a lot of shops that will have that tool let alone a shade tree mechanic. Even with the tool it was a bear to get the clips off but getting them back on was INSANITY. Let me know if you have any more questions on that or any other 99 Dodge/Plymouth problems. I have all the service manuals for that series vehicle and if I can't find one to buy I'm going to be offering the books for sale.

Thanks, I would have never figured it out! The size of the cool box looks like it is nearly identical in size to the filter so thats what made me think it was housed in there.