Why will my A/C/Alternator/Idler belt not fit back on?

10

Asked by Sep 13, 2016 at 09:43 PM about the 1999 Plymouth Breeze 4 Dr STD Sedan

I replaced my alternator and purchased a new belt. The belt is the correct belt for the vehicle. My vehicle doesn't have a idler tensioner, just an idler. I have routed the belt on the pulleys correctly and I am unable to get the belt on with the alternator tensioner adjustment at full retarded position. Doesn't seem to be any adjustment possible if I was able to get the belt on. Seems way to tight. Any ideas and answers would be appreciated. Thank you.

6,375

If the belt is the same lenghth and ur routing it correctly, they gave u a bigger diameter pulley on the alternator, go back and ask to see ur old alternator and compare pulleys

Best Answer
10

Thanks for the suggestion.. I did think of that and asked the supplier if the pulley was bigger because it was a reman. They said, "No". I have fought with this belt and tried another with no luck. I think I am going to purchase a belt an inch bigger because I will have lots of room for adjustment judging by how tight the 54 inch belt is. Thanks for the answer. I assume the parts dealer just blew me off when I asked that question. I will post an update when I get the bigger belt.

10

Well I picked up the 55 inch belt. Put it all back together and the bigger belt fit. So, I have to agree with you Irodri911, the pulley must have been bigger than the original. Thanks for your answer. Problem solved!!