Ford Probe 4 cylinder stumbles

25

Asked by Jul 31, 2007 at 12:57 AM about the 1996 Ford Probe SE

My 1996 Ford Probe SE (four cylinder, manual) has forever stumbled and then surged at about 2500 rpm and then about 3000 rpm. Also, when you're coming to a stop and have to engage the clutch, it idles very rough but doesn't quit running.
my e-mail is ifly2@att.net

15,905

Hi markie, This sounds to me like a fuel deliver issue. With the severity of the problems I would suggest having the fuel system flushed by trusted mechanic. Before the flush I would replace the fuel filter to catch any additional particles before they enter the combustion chamber. After the flush I would again replace the fuel filter and the spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap and rotor (if appropriate for your make and model) and air filter. I would also try to clean the throttle body as best you can. This should get you alot better mileage and performance. Hope this helps!

35

I'm not sure if you have a turbo or not, might be irrelevant. I have a 1990 Probe GT Turbo and it seems to stumble just as yours did and i had a hose lose amongst the hoses connecting the turbo, intercooler, and mass airflow. When the turbo built a bit of pressure it would push the line out causing a massive air leak. But if i stayed off the pedal a bit it would seem fine until the rpms got high enough for the turbo to kick in. As soon as the hose was reconnected it ran great. That was the only thing i replaced so i know that fixed my problem. I don't know that you would have the EXACT same problem if you do not have a turbo, but it might still be an issue i would look into if you haven't fixed it by now.

35

You need to clean your MAF, IAT and IAC to start. 9 times out of 10 that fixes the issue

10

"You need to clean your MAF, IAT and IAC to start. 9 times out of 10 that fixes the issue" Couldnt of set it better my self...Check this site out for step by step instructions on how to do so properly. http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701236718

Dude i think

--- dude did you check the power switch in the middle? if not try to specify the right panel into the same source of the power switch. then try to convert it from the next slide of the panel. hope this can help. [url=http://www.autopartsdeal.com/ford/probe/parts.html]ford probe parts[/url]

sounds like your temp scensor is bad.