Windows go down, but won't go back up

Asked by May 03, 2013 at 08:02 PM about the 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera 4 Dr SL Sedan

96 Olds Ciera - have been told that motor is good, but needs some switches. Mechanic
says he can't find switches. However, when he bypassed the switch needed to raise the
window(s) it still didn't work?????

27,905

Have seen wires break in the door jam. Something to keep in mind.

10,435

Both the switches and the motors are prone to fail. If it goes down it wont be the wires. Did it stop going up suddenly or get weak and stop? Sounds like a weak motor to me but the switches suck. But when he by-passed the switch did he jumper both the power and ground to the window motor or just one or the other. These switches are DPDT Double Pole Double Throw. The switch must connect both power and ground to the motor to raise, then swap both to lower. You could pull the switch and check both circuits for up and both for down. I usually go to the wreckers and grab a handful. Odds are some will work.