vinyl roof ?

Asked by Jan 08, 2008 at 08:28 PM about the 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera 4 Dr SL Sedan

i looked at a ciera tonite, a 1996 4dr sedan.  it seems to be in good condition, and only has 60 k miles on it.  the grill is damaged on the front, but can prolly be replaced at a junkyard. my question is this....the roof.  it appears to be a vinyl roof of some sort with peeling or cracks on it.  the owner, who is chinese and hard to understand somewhat, says you can take the roof off.  does this mean there is a decent roof underneath it ?  is it supposed to be removable ?  is it possible it is a convertible ?  the roof doesnt appear to have holes in it or anything, but just peeling.  can anyone help ?  explain to me what this roof is exactly ?  ive never seen anything like it.  thanks , i need your advice quickly, must be purchased in two days.

to my understanding of your question it is just a vinyl top,dont try to take off you will have a ton of glue under it.beside.ciera 4 door did not come as a convertible.hope this is a little helpful.also the cracking has a lot to do with the sun in summer,and cold winter elemets.a good uphoulstry shop can install a new one,if you want.

13,505

The 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera did not come as a convertible and a new vinyl roof can be several hundred dollars (depending on materials used). I would be more concerned about how the car was maintained. If he didn't maintain the appearance of the car how well do you think he took car of the engine and drivetrain?