Where is the neutral safety switch located on a 1996 olds bravada and how easy is it to replace one?

100

Asked by Dec 10, 2015 at 09:43 PM about the 1996 Oldsmobile Bravada 4 Dr STD AWD SUV

I replaced the starter and the starter relay switch on my 96 olds bravada,
however I still cannot turn the motor over with the key. If I arc the starter with
a screwdriver I can start the truck, but using the key is worthless at this
point. I was told it could be one of two things, either my neutral safety switch
is bad or my actual ignition switch is bad. How do I find the neutral safety
switch, how easy is it to replace, and how will I know if this is my problem?

66,705

Easy check for the neutral safety switch,if you can turn igintion on and move your shifter out of park,it wont be the issue,if shifter will move out of park,you probably have a bad igintion switch.

66,705

The neutral safety switch should be located on the transmission where linkage hooks in.

100

I replaced the starter, starter relay switch, and ignition switch and still can't turn it over with the key. I applied the brake and can shift into every gear, which makes me think the neutral safety switch is still good. If I arc the starter with a screwdriver it starts right up. Any other ideas as to my problem?

18,805

Neutral safety switch is on the side of the trans. It's easy to change. It does have an adjustment you have to get right. As far as i know, Just because you can change gears doesn't mean it's good.