Oil pressure low 0-10 psi when engine temp goes over 200

10

Asked by Aug 02, 2009 at 02:20 AM about the 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora 4 Dr STD Sedan

I can drive for 20-25 minutes with no problems, when the engine gets over 200 degrees the oil pressure drops below 10 (14 i belive is average for Auroras) at 6 psi the audible and visual oil pressure warning goes off. I have replaced the oil pressure sensor and the fan relay so far with no improvement. I have also switched to 5w30 synthetic oil also with no improvement so far. coolant pressure checked out but loss of fluid still occurs. The only leak i have seen is some antifreeze when car gets over 200 degrees. Any suggestions?

265

mine haed the same problem then the other day it went to 0 when cold and shop told me that i had no pressure. im going to try the thing where you put 10 - 12 extra quarts and rev to 3500 but no higher. ill post what happens im going to do it tomrrow. thae problem is where the pressure releif valve gets open and the pump can not prim. you need to go to auroraforums.com and look for my thread called " my car may be dead" its under the classic aurora section may be on second page. you should join its a great place.

7,785

Not too familiar with the car but 14 psi is a low oil pressure for just about any engine, let alone 6... Take it to a shop to have it diagnosed, but if that's not an option change the oil to a heavier weight and see if the oil pressure improves. The fact that it happens at a specific temperature range and that it happens suddenly would make me guess there is a faulty pressure relief valve opening at temperature. As I said take it to a shop if at all possible.

265

14 is not all that low althought its lower than i would like. GM has it where the 5 psi when idling eventualy you will have none at all temps

10

Yea I've taken it to 2 mechanics so far i was told i should get rid of the car and i was told he did not know how to fix this particular problem it was not showing any computer codes... i will be taking it to get a 3rd opinion later this month i was also going to try 15w40 synthetic oil which breaks down at higher temperature.

70

On my 2003 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 V8, I had "Low Oil Pressure" on LED display (which seems to show this when below 9 PSI - never saw a number lower than that) and oil light on at idle when car was warmed up. I just replaced the sensor (about $35 / ebay - part number: 12562817) and after replacement oil pressure at warm idle is 15 to 18 PSI on display and oil light does not come on. Success! At first, to shop I took it to had said it would take 1-3 hours because of having to remove heat-shield and other things but I printed off the installation instructions taken from a GM official Service Manual DVD that showed nothing like that (basically just remove and replace). I brought in my own part and they charged me $48 labor the swap.