Checking my oil on an Oldsmobile LSS.

Asked by Jun 12, 2014 at 09:19 PM about the 1997 Oldsmobile LSS 4 Dr STD Sedan

When checking my oil do I look at the holes on the dipstick or the writing.  There are 4
holes and under them towards the end of the stick it has writing.  "Add one quart"  Do I go
by the holes as to how many quarts to add?  Usually there is one hole that is not covered
with oil.  It is a 1996 Oldsmobile LSS with close to 300,000 miles on it and drives like a
dream.  But the body, well is another story.  Thank you.

242,345

I'm used to seeing 2 holes, one on the bottom and one on the top. Is there a cross hatched area? The oil level should be above the lower hole as a min. in the cross hatched area. The amount of oil between the 2 holes or cross hatched area is usually one quart. Add a small amount at a time till you get the proper level.