car won't start but has clicking

Asked by Mar 03, 2016 at 12:43 PM about the 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass 4 Dr STD Sedan

89,075

So either a bad starter, battery cables or connections, bad battery, just a few things to test.

Best Answer

Tom power locks and radio lights don't come on and when pressing power lock buttons makes a noise like it wants to work can u answer that ,don't want to spend money on wrong part when it can be something else

Tom the radio lights don't come on but dash does and power locks don't work what can that be tom

89,075

Sounds like a power loss, make sure the battery is good and the connections clean and tight, none of that black corrosion on either side.

Tom u my hero u have done so much for me in a short amount of time .I have one last question ok. Now the key to power the door open does not open doors but after I leave car for a while it works what this problem may be?

89,075

It still sounds power related, corrosion can be a big problem especially if it gets into the wiring cause you just can't see it inside the wires, that is when running a voltage drop test becomes a techs most important test.

So out of all I ask u does it sound like just a battery problem cause the car was just running and run good ,u are my friend for life 347-664- 4615 my name is leander Mr tom

89,075

Battery or wiring, as both can cause the symptoms you are having, but I am leaning more towards corrosion trouble. You vehicle is old enough so you can just remove the battery and take it to have it load tested without worrying about loss of presets. HTH

Hi tom it was the battery not altenater .another question ,the oil is thin .friends say could be antifreeze can an oil change bring out the answer of what it is and how do I know its gaskets

89,075

If it was headgaskets the oil will be an off white milky color, if it is thin that means fuel contamination, possible leaking injectors, plugged PCV system. Blown headgaskets will show a white plume of smoke out the tail pipe and a lot of cooling system pressure, bubbles in the coolant recovery tank.

Hi Tom I have 1997 Oldsmobile cutlass when I try to start it I heard a clicking noise underneath the hood I turn the key twice and heard the clicking noise the 3rd time no sound. I put a new battery in.