my car starts and runs but when i give it gas it dies

Asked by Oct 15, 2013 at 10:09 PM about the 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass 4 Dr STD Sedan

am going to suggest that it is your fuel pressure regulator at fault here~ test it with some suction to see if the fuel pressure increases....check to make sure the vacuum is operating the diaphragm....and finally replace it once it's found to be defective....there aren't any OBD-II codes for these...you have to manually test them~

20,345

plugged catalytic converter ? no that's an oxymoron,how about fuel filter, get under the hood and do some tests,do a WOT while emitting fuel see if revs .up fuel pressure at the Schrader .check! my guess is fuel pump failing

33,705

Putting vacuum on the fuel pressure regulator will decrease fuel pressure, not increase it.

nice to know that~