I have a 97 Oldsmobile achieva w 2.4 dohc. It takes off on it's OWN up to 3000 RPM !!! and hesitates and dies. Could this be THROTLE POSITION SENSOR ????

75

Asked by Sep 13, 2015 at 04:14 PM about the 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva 4 Dr SL Sedan

Yes!!

Does it start back up?

Clean the EGR valve as well..

75,485

There should be a air idle control sensor that adjust rpm from cold start to warm-up, not to say the TPS is not bad either, it is just a rheostat that tells the computer the position of the throttle. I believe Auto Zone can test these items.

71,595

Sounds like a vacuum leak. HTH. -Jim

75

It DOES start back up. It revs to 3000 rpm and I shut it off and restart. It will do this about every other day or so.

TPS..

71,595

Vacuum leak or sticking IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. HTH. -Jim