Is there a wire running from the alternator to the starter? If so, what post does it connect to?

65

Asked by Nov 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM about the 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva 4 Dr SL Sedan

I have a 97 Olds Achieva and just replaced the starter. After starting it, it ran for a short
while and suddenly lost electrical power and died. I have a feeling I mixed up the wires on
the starter. Is there an alternator wire running to the starter thats supposed to be hot while
running? I piggy backed it with the purple wire....HELP ????

22,685

Always make a mental picture of the wiring when you start- change the wires back- there should be no piggy backing- you may have fried the diodes in your alternator, causing your battery to go dead- when replacing the starter you should disconnect the battery but you don't have to touch the alternator