How do I know how to diagnose no crank no start on 98 Olds Silhouette V-6 3.4 liter?

5

Asked by Sep 06, 2013 at 09:29 PM about the 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette 4 Dr GS Passenger Van

The 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette V-6 3.4 liter slowly began to have trouble starting and
now it is dead. We removed and tested the battery and we had to replace it. Now, when I
turn the key there is no noise and the headlights do not dim. I am certain the battery
cables are clean and snug. It's a no crank no start or in other words it will not turn over at
all. Also there is no clicking or any audible noise at all. Should I try tapping the starter
with a hammer? What other things should I test before removing the starter? Are there
any other signs or symptoms I should be looking for to diagnose the problem. I have a
digital multimeter if that could be of use. Anyway, thanks to everyone for taking the time
and effort to help.

98,365

Make sure that the park switch is working properly as that can inhibit the starter. The hammer test has always worked well for me especially when the vehicle is parked in a mud puddle.

dash lights? if no check battery connections,for bare clean copper and verify tight there may be two pos cables make sure both are connected clean and tight,if mossy and corroded use baking soda warm water and old toothbrush use caution NOT to get any in your eyes. be sure voltage is up on battery as some parts house batteries have been there for a long time.banging on starter is not recomended internal damage will result.if still no ignition feed use a test light to check fuseable links top post on starter you will see small black plastic barrels where the wire from the starter ends and car wiring begins connect clamp end of test light to neg on battery and probe wires coming from top post on starter after barrels if test light fails to light continue along wire toward starter,once the test light lights you found problem splice in new fuseable using solder and shrink wrap doing it right once right......... PRICELESS! if you go through all that and are still stumped message me and we ll look deeper. let me know either way. hope that helps also check main fuse box underhood for a maxi fuse main .

Best Answer Mark helpful

also there is a purple or red heavy single wire connected to starter you will need someone to turn and hold key in start position using test light if it lights starter is used up if not ignition may be the issue also dropping gear selector into neutral may get a cranking condition.

did you.find the problem?

60

There is a ground cable that comes off of the ground side of the battery, that attaches to the front end of the car by the head lights. If that comes off, you will exhibit the above situation. Check for that connections.

20

Same problem here. I replaced my starter. And got same problem. Bad wiring?