can you put rod bearings in without taking the motor out ?

Asked by Dec 01, 2014 at 01:09 AM about the 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada 4 Dr STD AWD SUV

92,835

No. If you have a rod bearing that has gone bad then it has most likely messed up the crankshaft, either it is badly scored or the journal is egg shaped. recommend getting a crank kit, but if you have high miles you might consider a reman engine if you really like the rig. otherwise it's not worth much.

8,850

Sorry Tennis ... The question was ..." Can you remove the rod bearings without removing the engine?" The answer is Yes .... what you do after that is up to you

92,835

I stand corrected, I thought they wanted to do I right.

8,850

Ha,ha, ha .... that was from the old school (I'm 71 and we would do the Plasti-gauge and oversize rods ) I even had a tool called a "Sneaky-pete" that made it possible to change the rear main seal without dropping the crankshaft. Ahh ... The good ol' days ... don't miss em' I damm bit

92,835

I had one of those too, then they started using one piece main seals. I do miss the good ol' days, no computers, no ABS or air bags, all this garbage anymore that we really don't need, makes me ill. Couple more years and I'm done working on cars other than my own.

6,015

heyyy long time no see tennisshoes !! hows it goin man ?

92,835

Worn out, tired and sore, I closed my shop, going to focus on my family, will still be here but maybe not as active.