Idling issue on my van

20

Asked by Jun 11, 2015 at 06:52 PM about the 1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette 4 Dr Premiere Passenger Van Extended

How do I fix this? Whenever I start
the van it cuts off immediately
unless I step on the gas. Throttle
issue? Or air intake issue?
Hopefully this gets answered.  Its
my only ride...

10,060

scan the computer for codes. you could have a bad idle air control valve or throttle position sensor. also, when was the last fuel filter?

20

Ill take it to auto zone for the codes later. Last fuel filter is no idea. I plan on it. I wanna replace all the fluids and filters and have it looked over to make sure no suprises come up later. But anything I can fix on my own id love.

16,790

Check air filter

20

Theres two. Ive checked em both

16,790

Clean throttle body with throttle body cleaner spray.

20

Any tutorials or visual aides?

58,225

If this just started randomly,may not hurt to check for vacume leaks,around the intake,

20

Happened after a 5 hour trip to va from pa. How do I clean a throttle body? No idea on this part

58,225

Remove breather to throttle body,open throttle plate to open position and spray it out with carb cleaner,car not running,if this does, not help you have to remove the throttole body and clean it off of car,there are videos of this on you tube.

20

Ohh ok. The breather.. you mean the big ribbed hose connected to it?

58,225

Yes,try to spray it out with carb cleaner before you remove it,may help.

20

Thanks man ill try it! Ill check back here after.

20

Hey think It could be the fuel injectors?

16,790

Maybe a dirty injector try fuel injector cleaner that you put in gas tank.

20

I will. This van is my baby. I gotta take care of her. So do those cleaners actually work?

16,790

Yes they do. If that is your problem it will take care of it.

20

Ive given it one bottle. Is the effect instant or should I give it more over a period of time?

16,790

Have to drive around or let idle a while so that it can work on cleaning the injectors.

i had the same problem . it was the fuel pressure regulator. GO thru rockauto.com..its an inexpensive part. my van starts effortlessly now.