1996 3.8 mustang bad coil pack ?

40

Asked by Apr 22, 2016 at 06:05 PM about the 1996 Ford Mustang STD Coupe

Hey guys i took a 1997 mustang 3.8
mustang on trade yesterday.The car has
what feels like a misfire.My other 1996 had
simaler symptoms ,turned out to be o2
sensors,the 1997 is doing pretty well the
same thing ,when taking off sometimes not
all the time it will buck,has no power at all
.You can feel it kinda kickin in when im at
wot ,and crusing it hitches a little .The car
also smells really lean .i put my scanner on
it and said evap ,gas cap . Thats it for codes
.I opened the hood and noticed what looks
like jb weld on the coil pack  . I replaced all 4
02 sensors thismornng and still has the
same problem.Also if im in park and i rev
my car to 1800-2000 rpm and hold it at that
rpm it will hitch and pop from exaust and
engine shakes a bit .Crank sensor was
replaced 3 weeks ago .any help would be
great . Thank you

11,360

jb weld means the coil pac was probably cracked. a cracked pack will short out and be bad. I am bettn on a bad coil pack, but to be sure there are lots of youtube vids on how to test an igniton coil pack. Not hard. you will need a multimeter to test both the primary and secondary coils in the pack. this will confirm whether your pack is bad or not.

40

I just replaced coil pack today , i took it off my 1997 3.8 and its still doing the same thing .my car has divorced dual exaust and when the car is ideling my passengers side tail pipe kinda sounds muffeld ,poping sound ,and smells like raw fuel .

11,360

Leaky injector possibly. You should see if you can get hooked up to someone who has a scanner that will read live data. It will show spark and fuel trim etcetera. Wouldn't hurt to check the compression.

40

We took it for a drive today with the scanner hooked up drove for 30 minuts .and it said bank 1 sensor 2 running lean .The car has all 4 brand new o2 sensors .we also checked all the injector and there good and compression is great ,the car has 97000 km on it .its weird i dont no what else it could be unless the passengers side converter is pluged ?

11,360

There are 2 main reasons for a lean condition, either unmetered air entering the intake, or a fuel delivery problem. Check everywhere you can for vacuum leaks, check the hoses, especially the brake booster line, and when the engine is cold and running spray a little carb cleaner around in there to see if the idle changes. I am not sure if this is your problem, but once I experienced a lean condition and it turns out one of the injectors timing was off. The computer was compensating with more fuel. Thus excess unburned fuel, sounds like what you are experiencing. If you have tested the electrical portion of the injectors and all is well, a live data scan of fuel trim should show if there is a fuel delivery problem. Just throwin it out there. It seems like a plugged converter would inhibit performance to a point that would make it more obvious. Would really like to know what you finally come up with on this one. Its a toughie.

11,360

Another thing that causes problems like this is a plugged fuel filter.

Nigel5400 I have a question I know you can answer . So I bought a 94 mustang with a 3.8 liter . The car starts and runs but blows smoke (white )and runs rough . I bought a 98 3.8 motor and I plan on swapping motors but need some specific info from someone who's done this . I know you have . If you can respond man if really appreciate it ,

40

Digdeep74 the swap is all plug and go you change nothing but the motor mounts .The motor mounts from 1994 or 1995 3.8 has to be used on the 1996 + 3.8 engine also ccrm (constant control relay module) symptoms :no fire.. no spark,crank but wont start its located in front fender( optional) i always by pass it and its worked for years .find the red wire ,power wire and splice and solder a wire going from there to another live wire (with key on) ..i used the canister plug in or the mass air flow plugin . And thats it man

So the ob1 ob2 shit that I keep hearing is not true . And all that needs done is to supply power to the CCRM ? I can literally keep the fuel rail and injectors that are already on the 98 . Can you email me your phone number so I can possibly talk to you if needed ? digdeep74@gmail.com .

And I really appreciate your time buddy .

40

Yep thats a bunch a bull shit obd 1 and 2 my 1995 and 1994 is obd 2 lol. Iv did around 4 of these swaps and they are fairly stright foward i will email you my number so u can text if you get stuck on somthing and no prob man