Car won't start

Asked by Nov 05, 2013 at 12:08 PM about the 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4 Dr GL Sedan

I replaced the starter and the battery in my
car still won't start.It rolls over and gets
stuck like its in a bind. I have a 1999
Oldsmobile Intrigue

Remove the spark plugs and retry cranking it over, you may have a blown head-gasket causing the engine to do what they call hydro-static lock up, this will relieve the pressure and will also tell you what cylinders are taking in coolant.

Paul Washburn

Does it just crank (spin) once really quick and stock or a few times and then slows down and stops? Most GM V6s from late 1990s to early 2000s have all had massive problems with head gaskets, especially if the original owner didn't take care of the car. The 3500 in the Intrigue is one of the better, less plagued engines of the stable however, but they still can have head gasket issues like the rest. I second Tennisshoes. checking to see if each spark plug is functioning and/or submerged in coolant should be your next step. Check the oil too for fun. If its sludged up that would prevent cranking sometimes. You would most likely have heard massive amounts of noise the last time you drove it though if that was the issue as the internals without out sound reallly terrible.

I have a 2002 Oldsmobile intrigue and it wont start. The dash lights come on, the head lights, and the dinger goes off when the door is opened, but thats it. When I try to start it all it does is click once and thats it. I got the starter replaced and got a new battery thinking that it was the battery. It did however start before i replaced the rack and pinion gear, power steering pump, and lines. It also started long enough to blleed the lines for the power steering pump. I also flushed the transmission and put a new filter on. I checked all the fuses as well. Does any one know what could be the cause of my car not wanting to start? Please help!!!!!

I just got done with that problem with mine was the ground wire from the batter to the car I took a wire from the the battery to the car and made a new ground try that if not work get back with me

Ginger Brock

I have a 1983 Oldsmobile but less ciera the battery is good and so is everything else but it still wort start and doesn't even try anyone know what the problem could be?

I would try changing the coil pack? Because with these Oldsmobile's they had three problems Fuel, Coil Pack, and wires if the car does not start I would test the coil pack because unlike other cars the Oldsmobile's had two brains the coil pack was just the secondary brain for the car. the coils could be bad but brain good and or it could be spark plug wires, if its not their then I would check for compression and if you have compression then try checking the air box hose because if the air hose is not tight enough then the sensor see a mix of air from multiple directions so if you tighten those then that shouldn't be it and sensors rarely go bad I would then check the wireing harness oldsmobile from 88 and a half had problems with harnesses all the way through the 3rd and 4th gen v6

Jimmy Butler

check Ground wire

Trace Dale

Could be a bad fuel pump. Or the Crank position sensor