motor turns over but does not start

25

Asked by Dec 29, 2007 at 10:39 AM about the 1996 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

i checked the voltage at fuel pump none present i checked the firing  at plugs  no fire.
my son replaced the ecm and its a repete the annilizer read both times  err
   the thief light flashes with key on. this is not keyless entry . all fuses are good.
   i thought it might be the antithief module..  is there any way to bypass that. i will appreacate any information i can get   thanks ,terry

43,935

There isn't a way to bypass the antitheft system, you will need to get a new or good used one and test it that way.

1,285

When you turn the car on , does the check engine light come on ( it is a bulb check and shows the computer is on/working) ??? Does the car crank over ?? If the "theft"light is on , and the vehicle fails to start , chances are you have an issue with the body computer ( separate from the engine computer ) or the key has had it's chip signal wiped out , and so the computer will not let the car start . Try another key !! If this fails , you will need to take it in and have any codes extracted from the computer , to see if there is a problem with the key, body computer, or both . Sometimes , if the vehicle battery has been changed, you need to perform a re-learn for the passive anti theft , the re-learn varies from vehicle to vehicle , so it is advisable to get the car looked at , before you put any more time and money into it.

1,095

ive had EXACTLY the same problem... easiest fix ever... but it might be different what ecm did your son put in ??? does it have a OBD II reader??? mine is a superchip one and it does... all i had to do was disconnect the battery... wait 30 seconds.... ... ... then reattach it... plug in the tuner check the engine codes... it should give you a 01-1221 code... clear it then start her up... it sometimes happens i guess when the car thinks its being stolen and it locks the cars ignition... if that doesnt work take it to a dealership or a shop... ur gonna have to have the aftermarket chip uninstalled probabally and have it flashed back to stock... hopefully u get it fixed... gotta keep as many 96 GTs on the road as possible representin hahaa good luck...

20

Find the fuel shut off switch under the dash drivers side right near the hood release push it and you might have the same results, car starts up! I found this because the car would run on cleaner for the map sensor but not on its own, I tried all the anti theft tricks but still no fuel, not sure what it set off but thats why it wouldn't start bust of luck if you have the same issue! Racing26

30

great problem solved in 4 seconds lol

20

I have a 2001 mustang ,that want start, it cranks some what

I had a ford f150 having the same problem i replaced the fuel pump and several other parts and it ended up being as simple as the chip being bad in the key.