My car keeps running hot I had flushed the system and put new thermostat in it it runs hot if I go over 50 mph Its a 1999 olds alero With a 3400 motor

60

Asked by Apr 26, 2015 at 10:30 PM about the 1999 Oldsmobile Alero 2 Dr GL Coupe

77,935

Most likely there's air in the cooling system that needs to be bled out. The other possibility is a blown head gasket. The 3400s are notorious for blowing head gaskets. Pressure test the cooling system. Also pull the oil dipstick and look for white milky "goop" on the dipstick. That's a sure sign of a blown head gasket. HTH. -Jim

55

check your fan if its work,your radiator maybe clog, your water pump

60

Someone told me since my air dame is missing that could cause my car to run hot also. Ive bleed the system theres no water in my oil.

77,935

That's definitely a possibly. The air dam increases the airflow through the radiator while driving. Has it started heating up when you lost the air dam? HTH. -Jim

60

It was missing when I bought the car

60

I have had it flushed and new thermostat. It starts running hot with in 10 minutes of me driving it but when it does I pull over and open the bleeder value and the temp. drops then I can drive it for a while but when I cut it off I have to add more water to it

60

77,935

Before spending the money on the air dam refer to my first post. Rule out a blown head gasket before spending any money needlessly. How many miles are on the car? HTH. -Jim

60

Not sure the motor has been switched to a 3400

77,935

I see. They usually failed between 90,000 and 120,000 miles. That's probably why the motor was changed. The original engine probably blew a head gasket. - Jim

I have a question I replaced my fans on my alero and they are going slow and I was wondering why are they going so slow?