i ran out of gas and will not start after putting gas in

25

Asked by Oct 10, 2014 at 10:09 PM about the 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4 Dr GLS Sedan

I was driving and I ran out gas. before it stop it sputted and then it stopped completely. I walked to the gas station and got $7 in gas put it in the car, it started then it cut right back off. I didn't push the peddle so it cut back off. I tried to start it again but I wouldn't. so I kept trying while putting my foot on the accerlator but it would not start. so I went and got another &7 and it would not start. I got a jump it would not start so I went and bought a brand new battery because eventually the battery went dead. I let it set over night in case I flooded I know I needed to let it dry out. so about 8:30 am I tried it again and it would not start. so I went and got another $7 and gt another jump it would not start. it currently sitting. what is the problem? do I need knew spark plugs, coil pack, I don't know someone help me out asap!!!! thankx

19,350

When you ran it out of gas the fuel pump might have picked up junk from the very bottom of the tank. You might have to replace your fuel filter. When you tried starting it this morning did it try starting or was the battery dead? It may need plugs and wires, if the wires are gray, say Packard on them and are numbered 1-6, then they are original. Replace them and the plugs

25

my car takes a coil pack do I need to replace that? fuel filter not the fuel pump? tht would b easy. this morning it had a dead battery I went to Walmart and bought a new one and got a jump. I also heard a soft small pop last night trying to force it to start.

19,350

No coil pack unless its misfiring. Start with the fuel filter. It's WAY cheaper and easier to change. Then move on to the tune up and or fuel pump. Ok on the battery. The pop you heard is the car backfiring because it didn't start. No big deal.

Best Answer
25

what will replacing fuel filer do which would yu recommend first tune up or fuel pump

25

how do yu know if its misfiring

19,350

The fuel filter is located between the gas tank and engine to catch dirt, rust ect from getting to the engine. If it got plugged when you ran it out of gas it will keep the engine from getting the fresh gas you put in the tank. That's why I said start there. It might be as simple as that. If the car won't start after the filter it could be the pump. The tune up parts are just a good thing to do if they are old. It will make the car run better and you will get better gas milage.

19,350

Once it's running you will feel it quiver or stumble while it runs in park. It will get worse when you put it in drive while your foot is on the brake. It may make the check engine light come on as well but, not always. Your engine should run smooth.

25

it was the fuel pump I got a brand new one put in and then my service engine soon light came on, why? also today it started to idle low below 1 like .75 and cut off. I let it sit and then it came back on. its making a loud rumblimg noise now. I took it to auto zone and the computer read low fuel voltage and fuel trim line. I took it back to the mechanic and he said that's the spark plugs, is that true? both codes read with something with the fuel. whats going on because I don't think he know what he talking about

19,350

Sorry it was the pump. You should never let the tank go below a 1/4 tank. It will keep the pump from getting hot which will keep the pump running longer and keep it from sucking up dirt and rust from the bottom of the tank. When the guy put in the tank did he put in a new fuel filter? It might need a fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and spark plugs because they might have got dirt/rust in them as well. It's all fuel related.

60

I ran out of gas and I went to the gas station and got some gas my car won't start up

10

I just brought a 2000 intrigue it runs and drives good but the only problem I'm having is the gas pedal feel a little hard when you giving it gas while driving what could that be and will it cost a lot to fix it?

Concerning the 2000 Intrigue gas pedal. I had the same problem with a hard pedal feel on my 1999 Intrigue with the 3.5L engine. I finally figured out it was the accelerator cables drying inside their cable tubes (17 years of use). To resolve that, I carefully disconnected the accelerator cable at the engine, raised it in the air, and dripped light lubricating oil into each cable tube. I washed it in there slightly with a generic WD40-like spray oil. I allowed the oil to drain in the cable tube for about 15 minutes (while holding the cable up with temporary hangers.) That fixed it, the accelerator pedal operated smooth after that. I would suggest to also inspect the pedal itself for any obstructions.