2000 Olds Intrigue ran like a top- now won't fire

Asked by Dec 31, 2014 at 12:06 AM about the 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4 Dr GL Sedan

Our car ran like a top and purred like a kitten.... Then one cold morning it needs a boost.
Fired up, I drive it to work- and that's where it is. Wouldn't start! It turns over strong, but
has zero fire. New plugs last month, full tank of gas, a beautiful car. So upset!! Our work
mechanic tested all the fuses and says the gas is flowing, but no spark. He does not
have a code reader. It has a 3.5 l engine.  I just don't have the cash after Christmas !

if it has a rotor and distributor id say ignition control module. no fire is often crankshaft position sensor

What are the chances that further work will need to be done once this is installed? I heard that I may need to get something reprogramed once the new sensor is in?? Sorry.... Don't know the right car lingo to use! My mechanic said the car may run fine, it may not. Just disconnecting the battery won't reset the computer? This is all new and confusing to me! There seems to be so much electronics in such an old car!??

dont get intimidated. if youre going to own the car a while get a chiltons repair manual. get the factory service manual if possible. way better. its a gm product-the easiest vehicles to work on. gimme a few and ill.get u some info.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Oldsmobile/Intrigue/2000/ electrical/electrical_system.shtml here ya go. maybe give u an idea

Best Answer

Thank you, Cowdough! The car ended up needing a $90 crankshaft sensor and 2 cases of beer for the mechanic! The car fired up right away and was 100% again. I was thinking the worst case scenario and seeing big dollars that weren't in our budget! Hopefully it runs for a long time!! Thank you for all your help! Cheers from Alberta!

you bet. glad i could help.