We replaced the heating core at a mechanic's shop. Within a week all the oil was burned up and the engine is now useless. How did this happen?

Asked by Mar 31, 2016 at 10:33 AM about the 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4 Dr GL Sedan

We took my sons car into the shop to get the heating core replaced. We had done an oil change 2,000 miles before and the fluids were all correct. After the repair job was done my son drove it for about a week and it burned up all the oil and now the engine is shot. There was no leaks or smoke from the engine. What happened at the auto shop that would have caused a car that was functioning perfectly, minus the heating core issue, to suddenly crash and burn after replacing the heating core?

210,765

The engine oil and heater core are not related. I highly doubt the mechanics drained the oil for the heater core swap. Call or stop in to ask them to confirm. Without a leak or smoke, there is no way an engine can burn all 5qts of oil in a week. I would look again to see if the drain plug or filter is still on.