No air coming from Front Vents

5

Asked by Aug 10, 2014 at 09:24 PM about the 1996 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT 4WD SUV

Here's a run down of events leading up to this.  Maybe 2 years ago, heat and air worked fabulously.  Then one day, MAX setting on cold air stopped working, but all other settings continues to work.  Maybe a few months after, no air came through the front vents - it only came from the defrost vents (when set on defrost).  Now, no air (hot or cold) comes from from vents or defroster.  Heat/air only work from rear vents.
I think you can hear some kind of vacuum noise when you turn the air unit on - it kind of sounds like air coming out of a small balloon.  I got under the hood and checked all the hoses and they looked ok.  I did the spray with water test too and the hoses passed.
I have read and watched videos about possible fixes til I can't see straight.  Does anyone know what might be going on?  I'd really like to try to fix this myself or at least have a general idea of what needs to happen to get this corrected.  Thanks for light you can shed on my issue!

10,205

sounds like a bad blender door ill send you a link to a video with a some what simalur issue might help might not its almsot 1000 $ to fix and replace the whole air system or part at the dealer *they remove your whole dash to do it.*

10,205

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvuPzf0wjEg

10,205

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/6483/ford/explorer/ford-explorer-air-conditioner-and-heater-problems/p2 Is also fairly informative

100

Having same problem

10,205

check out the forums link i posted most often the blender door breaks in these trucks.

100

I did not get the forums link can u Please send it thanks.

10,205

my friend read 4 quotes up it even says forums in the first word it says in the link

200

it's not the blend door !

200

it's not the blend door actuator !

10,205

i have seen a bunch where the main issue is the blend door. But its often the thing that attaches it to the control unit. The tab breaks off and the arm that adjusts the blend door just hangs down doing nothing.

80

The air blend door actuator only changes the temperature setting. It DOES NOT have anything to do with the position of which the air comes out.

10

yeah I am having the same problem with my 2000 mercury mountaineer. There is no air coming out of the front or defrost vents. The vents for the back seats work, but that's it. I heard that this is actually the blower motor under the hood. This is like a $50 dollar fix if you order it online and watch the 1A auto video that demonstrates how to replace it!

20

I had the same problem with my 2004 Explorer, everybody was saying that the blend actuator was the problem, look a bunch of videos to know how to do the job, well I replace the actuator and it didn't fix the problem, so I proceed to look at the system and found on the passenger side and found another damper with a plastic arm broken wish connect to the pneumatic actuator, luckily it was an easy fix for me, I replace the broken arm with a piece of plastic to extend and emulate the broken part, screwed, connect the actuator and that fix the problem, so I spent $40.00 on the electric actuator that I didn't need..

10

Look behind the glovebox. Opens out easy from inside by hand....tabs each side,Some years have cabin air filters there. (usually original & plugged solid). My 03 mountaineer doesn't .If not,take out 2 or 3 screws between the big round plastic (blower motor) and the plastic piece above it. Look in between with a flashlight . There is a piece of mesh netting on blower port.Mine has a big mouse/rat nest clogging it to almost no flow. Not sure how to get it out ....looking for that info now :)

80

Update to mine...i fixed my 95 explorer. Mine turned out that there is a suction vent located near the front of the vehicle, on the passenger side. I had checked all the venting near the firewall but was unaware of the one near the front of the vehicle. Once hooked back up, my vent switch worked perfectly. ***AND AGAIN, TO THOSE WHO ARE SUGGESTING IT...THE AIR BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PLACE WHERE THE AIR COMES OUT! IT ONLY ADJUSTS THE TEMPERATURE ***

having same problem with my 01 ford taruse

I have a 2008 Ford Explorer well I put A/C but all of sudden it got warm again what's the problem it's a4x4