fuel pump blows

10

Asked by Apr 23, 2016 at 08:17 PM about the 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL

I changed the fuel pump in my 2001 alero but the fuel pump fuse blows when I turn the key on I checked for power at the fuse panel and I only have power on the one side of the fuse.. what would cause the fuse to blow when I turn the key on

88,635

A direct short in the fuel pump circuit, the first thing ti do is unplug the pump at the tank then replace the fuse and turn on the key if the fuse does not blow then there is a short in the pump itself, if it still blows then you are going to have to trace out the main power wire to find where it has shorted to ground.

10

I put a new pump in fuse blew then I unpluged the pump and changed the fuse and same thing.

10

I tested the power at the fuse box and I only have power on one side

88,635

After the fuse blows that is the way it should be. So now you have to start tracing out the fuel pump power circuit to find the short, one place you might try checking first is the fuel pump connector, sometimes the little tabs get bent over and short out and the next place would be the fuel pump relay connections, if nothing there and you don't see anything obviously crushing the harness or any screws or bolts through it you may just have to run a separate power wire from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump connector, remember to solder and heat shrink all the connections if you have to go that route.

10

So I need to run a wire from where I have no power in the fuse box back to the fuel pump. Which wire do I replace the new one with

88,635

No, it will be from the fuel pump relay back to the fuel pump connector, so you are going to have to gain access to the bottom of th power distribution box to access the fuel pump relay wiring. I'll get back to you on the color if I can find a good diagram.

88,635

Terminal J6 under the power box Gray wire.

10

So I need to run a wire from the fuel pump relay in the fuse box back to the fuel pump

88,635

Yes but only if you can't find the real short.

10

So I let the car sit for a couple days put a new fuse in and it didn't blow turning the key on. Didn't start it tho cause battery is dead. But does that make any sense

10

So i charged up the battery and the car is running now I never did nothing to it.

88,635

If there's a short in the fuel circuit it will most likely blow when you start to move it.

10

I had it running for about an hour then drove it around the block for about 10 min. Everything seems to be working now. I don't get it

88,635

I'm thinking the harness could be pinched somewhere and every once in a while it will get pinched just right and short out. Did you ever look underneath for a harness problem?

10

Yes I looked underneath and the harness and wiring all looks good under there

88,635

At least if it happens again you know you will have to run a separate power wire from the relay back to the pump, just make sure you cut both end of the stock wire so it won't cause you any grief later on.

10

Would a bad ground cause this to happen someone told me to splice into the ground wire on the harness and run a ground wire to the body. Does that make sense to u

88,635

Only if it was shorted to power, I have heard of people running another ground to the fuel pump but most of those had a connector problem at the pump.

10

If it was shorted to power the car wouldn't be running right

88,635

That's right.