Do I have to replace driver's door?

Asked by Jan 20, 2012 at 12:07 AM about the 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL Coupe

The connector between the two hinges hooks into the door thru a rubber gasket/grommet.  This rubber part has worn out so the connector has caused a bigger than normal hole in the door.  The end result is that the door drags on the rear of the rocker panel everytime that it opens/closes.  I am being advised that this problem is a GM design defect.  I have asked if I can get this repaired but the body shops are saying "NO".  Because of the stress on that part of the door a repair would only last a month or two before the weld would break.  So, is this true?  Do I need to get a replacement door from a breakers or just live with this problem?  Please advise.  Regards from Chris.

try replaceing the door hinges.

Thanks for getting back to me. The door hinges are perfectly ok. It's the connector/grommet deal with the door that is the problem. The door is dragging on the rocker panel because of the grommet failing. The heat in Phoenix sucks the moisture out of the rubber and the darned thing cracks and fails which is why the connector pulled on the door frame. I was wondering if I could get this fixed by a spot weld but the body shops are saying NO and that I need to replace with another door.

OKno you dont have to replace the door,it can be welded,sounds like this place is trying to get into your pocket.