headlight problem

25

Asked by Sep 26, 2007 at 09:48 PM about the 1990 Nissan Axxess 3 Dr SE Passenger Van

Sometimes when my lights are set on low beam, both of them work and then for no reason, one light goes out and my high beam indicator light comes on even when the lights are still set on low beam. I have two brand new light bulbs, I've tried switching them to find out if it is a bulb problem, but its not. It doesnt matter if I hit a bump or anything, it will be good for two days and then all of a sudden it comes back.Any ideas?

43,945

Sounds like a problem with the high beam switch, perhaps the connections are burnt and it is shorting out, causing the issue. You may have a wiring issue underneath the hood -- an intermittent short caused by a piece of insulation that has worn off, and only touches metal and grounds out at certain times.

5,175

Definitely a wiring or switch problem. You need to track it down before it turns into an electrical nightmare and you have NO headlights.

165

I had a 90 Axxess and the high beams did not work. I never got around to playing with them... But I know the car had an issue with a relay or a component on the switch on the column acting up causing it to fail... I just bought some driving lights at Wally-World and they made it tolerable.

85

my friends nissan 300ZX did the exact same thing, and here's the problem. The copper wires in you're switch have bent out of place, and aren't making a connection anymore to run off each other. This causes one of the lights to go out (i'm guessing driver side, right?) all you have to do is play around with the copper wire till you find an even connection.

30

I have just had the same problem on my Terrano, the attached pic shows the 2 contacts for the high beam, all I had to do was bend them SLIGHTLY to close the gap a little when they are open. Took about half hour

Ended up just replacing the stalk; while davefromoz 's answer is correct, it's super finicky and the stalk of an infinity G20 will work just fine :)